onsdag, juni 07, 2006

Estate pipes

Went down to J, my tobacconist today to chat a bit about pipes in general and Bjarne´s especially. I told him my only complaint was that the tint left orange marks on my fingers but he seemed to mean that this is something that can happen. While we were discussing this and that, a lady appeared in the store wanting to know whether or not the Dunhill pipes her dad had left behind were off any value. J claimed that they were of little value, generally, and that the older ones would have a very brittle stem, which would need to be replaced, something that would be fairly costly. "Should I just throw them away?" the lady asked with a grimace of disbelief. J shrugged and said no, and suddenly I heard my own voice saying to the lady:
"I'd buy them!"
"Would you?"
"Well, yeah if the price is right and the pipes are interesting, why not?"

J looked at me in kinda disbelief but said nothing. I gave the lady (who was from Stockholm) a paper with my cellphone number and name. I finished of the discussion with J about how to classify Dunhills etc so he did not seem disturbed that I wanted to buy them...We'll see what happens.