torsdag, juni 01, 2006

Met Bjarne today!

Today as announced my tobacconist had invited Bjarne Nielsen, famous Danish pipemaker to the shop. I had to go and meet him even though I am in a hurry today with my exam tomorrow and all.
A really nice Dane with big strong hands who had brought hundreds of pipes, from his newfangled little ones to his Giants. I only had so much time to chat with him, but he stays on til Saturday(hope I'll find time to see him once more).
We discussed the market, China and Russia as new strong markets, briar availability, pipe shapes and their proneness to certain tobaccos (none as B had found) and a few more things - me, Bjarne and J, my tobacconist.
J seemingly at random picked up a beautifully grained Golden apple semi-rusticated and I decided to buy it on the spot, as soon as I laid eyes on it.
It had a bottom area which had been rusticated and tinted black, according to Bjarne not because there was anythong "wrong" with the wood, but (/as he showed me on another pipe) because the grain had benn "flat" and without any particular features, which he felt would have shamed the OUTSTANDING grain that the pipe displayed on the rest of the bowl, birdseye in front and back and somehow remarkably a straight grain on the rest(?!).
Even though it was handmade it was a bargain at 765 SEK (app 70€), and Bjarne even threw in a naugahyde pipe bag even though the cash clerk tried to put the pipe in a cloth bag at first. I shook Bjarnes strong hand and assured him that the pipe would be the gem of my collection and only smoked in my favourite chair. He smiled and thanked me(?), what a nice amiable fellow!
I'll see if I can resist buying another oe on Saturday, if I get there...