lördag, juli 15, 2006

Grass widower again

This time for a whole week coinciding with the start of my vacation! K came and left and I was alone with E. I almost immediately set up my pipe workshop in the kitchen and started on an idea that I've been nursing for some time; A take on the Calabash idea.

I got to use a new rustication technique with my Dremel and a new contrast staining idea with the Pimo powder and alcohol (Rum and Calvados, no less, since I don't approve of using denatured alcohol for something that will interfer with my body chemistry. The amounts used for a pipe are less that a shotglass so I don´t understand why anyone doing this as a hobby would bother to use anything else...).

I managed the drilling a bit better this time, and by handfiling a Vulcanite churchwarden stem end I got a fairly snug fit on this one! I bent it slightly but markedly, and got a beauy-ti-ful smoker! I'm proud of this one!
Mushroom cloud? Cauldron? Chanterelle?
The rustication and contrast stain work together to form the impression of a smouldering ember and the shape resembles a cauldron on the hearth. Or a mushroom cloud forming where the raw plateux is a snapshot of the chaotic whirls. Or a chanterelle with maggot holes. You pick.