tisdag, september 30, 2008

Necessity is the mother of invention

Even though I have sealed off my man cave thoroughly with rubber sealing in the doorway, bought a cataclysmic air purifier and everything, I STILL got complaints from SWMBO about the smell when I had been down there, smoking.
"It reeks as of an old geezer down there" she whined. Well, I thought, but kept my trap shut.

So I decided to do something about it. I had already bought a cheap table top fan, there was a ventilation hole in the wall so all I needed to do was to bring the two together, but how?

On my way bicycling home from work the skies opened and rain poured down so I went into one of those big flowershops just to look around and dry up a bit. Something circular and green in plastic caught my eye. It was a funnel for filling up garden watering cans. The narrow end was split in two so that you could fit the handle in between and still pour water into it.

It was just what I needed to build my new table fan holder ventilation funnel shaft thingamajiggy. I bought it and went home.

In my man cave I cut out a baffle plate from an old cardboard box and fitted it to the split funnel. I then showed the entire contraption into the ventilation hole where I had rigged up some wiring to keep it all in place.

I took a step back and checked it out. It looked like something a speed freak would have dreamt up in a blizzard heatwave. I strapped the fan to it, plugged it in and got most of the air straight back in the face. No good.

I took the whole contraption down again, but changed my mind and put it back up. What this thing needed was some constriction. I took the plastic bag that I had carried the funnel back home in and teared open a bit between the handles so that I could fit it around the fan and funnel without blocking the air intake. Instant success!

Only thing now was that it changed the look into something that had mated with a jellyfish. The plastic bag was immediately blown up and helping constrict the airflow down back into the funnel and it looked really cheap-o.

But it works! Function before form...