måndag, september 29, 2008

One step forward, two steps back


Made an investment in a power file from Black&Decker, hoping it would solve my sanding needs in pipe making. Full of excitement I went ahead with the latest perfectly drilled briar block, a 20 yrs old piece.

I was really happy with the way the drilling had turned out dead center bottom line with this one. I clamped the file in a vice and turned it on. It made a hell of a racket to tell the truth but I strapped on my goggles and started filing away.

Whoosh! there went a good piece of the superfluous wood to the left and Whoosh! to the right. Darned powerful action there, and the Cyclon DID seem to pick up at least 75-80% of the dust.

I did a few more Whoosh!es and too soon i was back to hand filing and sanding to finish off the bowl. I sat for a good hour fixing it up and then decided to take of a bit more of the stem "cause it looked so clunky". Big mistake.

I did a bit of the stem on the bottom and a bit on the top and before I knew it, the tip of the file ate into the wall of the bowl with a very satisfied Whoosh!

I held the bowl to the light and immediately spotted where it had eaten itself in. The area was now glowing with light from the top of the smoking chamber revealing the paper-thin wall that was left...

Ah, well. There's plenty more briar where that came from. I then lifted my eyes to the rest of the ManCave and discovered that 10% of the dust NOT taken care of by the cyclone were hanging in the air or silently setting on every somewhat horizontal plane that existed.

Red briar dust. On the clock, on the lamp, on the carpet, on the drawer, well simply put EVERYWHERE. I sighed.

Sanding problem solved but a bit of practice will be needed. Dust problem remains, at least 10% which is bad enough I found out. Pipe embryo sacrificed, and a new briar needed to start all over again...