lördag, september 16, 2006

Package fom US - I

So I got notice from (what's left of) the post office that a package from P had arrived. Having the day off I was on my way to go fishing the day after the ad agency party. Being a little slow in mind I hesitated to drive and slept a few more hours, then picked up the package and went off to the coast.

I did have some expectancy for this package since P had hinted that he would put some "goodies" in there besides the samples to review, so I didn't want to open it there in the dirty parking lot next to the supermarket. Once I had gotten to the coast I parked the car in an nice spot and turned my full attention to the package.

I was so eager to get it open that I snapped off the cheap tamper from my lighter trying to get throught the meticulously taped box. Once I got it open an intense aroma that somehow made me think of Christmas filled the car.

It was nicely stuffed with plastic bags to fill up the empty space surrounding a bundle of ziplock bags and some bubble wrapper through which I could just make out the contours of a corn cob pipe.

But, wait ... what the ... there's a bag in jet black naugahyde in the bottom of the box! I reach down and pull it out. I can feel through the sock that there are two parts in there. My God, is there something in there that has broken even though the box is undamaged? No, it can't be?!. My eyes fall upon a folded sheet of paper, and I decide to read the letter before I open the sock.

P writes about the tobacco sampling and instructions on how to go about it hmm yes, and more? He then tells me about the extra tobaccos that he has supplied me with and they are made out of, and then, in a very matter-of-factly way, as if it was the most natural thing in the world : "The BigBen Brandy is for your collection. Dedicate her to one of your favourites."

With trembling fingers I open the pipe sock and pry into it to find first the stem. It is a full saddle black ebonite, with a decoration ring of some lighter wood, and most importantly it is NOT broken! P has been foresighted enough not to put down the pipe mounted! Phew!