tisdag, mars 14, 2006

Calici

Had a touch of Calici virus Sunday-Monday. around lunch Monday I felt better and didn´t have to run to the loo every five minutes :P

Took the opportunity to finish off the DogTurd (which I have come to lovingly call my Cornucopia type Olifant pipe). I drilled and sanded and buffed and stained it in a period of four hours, and still didn´t get it ready in time for K and E to return back from the swimming hall. Had a cup of hot scowl poured over me, but it was worth it.

I used Bacardi Black to soak some specially sought-out black flakes of different tobacco mixtures and achieved a deeper almost walnutty brown tint on this one. The sugary residues from the aromatics created a more sluggish stain which gave a darker result both on the craggy areas and the smooth ones. I rotated the pipe slowly and put on four layers before I let it dry, rotating slowly all the time. It took about an hour.

I then buffed it with a clean buff to remove some of the sugary stickiness and the I changed to another Carnauba-loaded buff and gave it a run-down. After that I changed back to a clean buff. The result was great! I spent the rest of the afternoon rubbing the pipe with one of my old nylon socks. I need to finish it off with a 20 denier sock before I'll take a picture of it.