söndag, februari 05, 2006

Rustication!

Got the drill from T and went and bought a wooden drill bit 19 mm to perfect a tobacco chamber drill.
K left for the stable early Saturday morning and E had been to a pajama party at one of her friends so I had the kitchen all to myself. Rigged the workshop and drilled away.
Looking at the finished result I decided to try rustication on this pipe. Not that the wood had a lot of flaws, I just felt that the reulting shape needed something else than a smooth finish. I kept a "collar" of smooth wood just underneath the craggy raw surface on top of the plateu since it had a nice straight grain, whereas the rest of the pipe had swirls going hither and dither.
I felt a ting of fear as I let the diamond bit of my Dremel copy dig into the smooth briar, but once the first furrow was done I had no other choice left. I found it hard to "go with the grain" and felt uncertain as to which way to plow the bit through the briar field as there was no marked difference in friction or resistance along the grain which was not very visible...
I remembered having read a tip somewhere that the most common mistake when rusticating was not doing enough. "Do some more" is the general tip. And so I did.